Finding The Best Metal Chop Saw In The Market
Are you suffering from an achy back and sore shoulders? Or are tired of the incessant number of burrs on the steel and the wood. Don’t stop masonry or carpentry just change to using the best metal chop saw in the industry.
A good cutting power tool is a prerequisite for every workman worth his salt. Clean accurate cuts at exact angles are a must in this field. A good chop saw not only cuts wood but also slices metals, tile, and even concrete.
This guide attempts to clear a few cobwebs about the product based on several reviews and customer feedback while providing an unbiased review of the five of the best metal chop saws in the market.
Types of metal chop saw
The metal chop saw is also called the miter saw. It is of five types:
- Basic miter saw: This is the simplest of all metal chop saws and normally used by the hobbyist and the DIY carpenter. This simple saw can cut only under 90 degree. Here the blade and the motor are fixed to a base plate and always in a vertical position. These models come with a built-in vise and clamp. These are usually lightweight, portable and are ideal for cutting ceramic tiles.
- Compound miter saw: This type comes with a blade that rotates and cuts miters and bevels in both horizontal and vertical planes. Most of the saws come with a laser guide for greater precision. These saws are used in crown molding. They come with safety guards and cost between $ 150 to $ 600. They are efficient and quick.
- Sliding miter saw: These saws are usually used for making wider cuts. This model is the most versatile of all saws because it can be used to cut long pieces as well as small pieces of varying widths. The blade is mounted on a movable arm and in some cases, it can be tilted right and left.
- Dual compound miter saw: This is the most advanced chop saws in the market. Here both the motor and the blade can be rotated and tilted. It is suitable for the industrial purpose and for projects that require intricate and precise cutting.
- Cordless saws: These are the lightweight portable versions that can be taken along. Since they rely on battery charge they can’t be used for a long time. But with a lithium-ion battery, the charge lasts longer but it is an expensive option.
How to choose the best metal chop saw?
While choosing a saw you must first have a clear picture of what your objective or the purpose of the tool is and then pay attention to the following:
- Capacity: The size of the blade will determine how powerful a saw is. Normally for simple woodwork like trimming and frames saws with 8” and 10” blade will do. The greater the blade size, the heavier the tool and less portable its nature.
- Bevel range:The angle of cutting is important for precise work. Ensure that the scales are aligned and are easy to read.
Key features in metal chop saw buying
- Motor power: Higher ampere indicates more power and better cutting ability.
- Brakes: Since all these tools run on electricity safety is paramount. Hence look for models that come with electric brakes that can stop the blade as quickly as possible when the need arises.
- Spindle locks: To prevent any untoward incident the spindle lock feature disarms the shaft and the blade and facilitates easy changing of the blade.
- Fences: They are useful in making bevel cuts and also for supporting the taller stock.
- Blade guards: These guards will protect the operator from injury by preventing the sharp blade from coming in contact with skin.
The not so import features are:
- Laser light: it guides the blade to produce precise cuts
- Dust chute: to collect the dust and keep the work area clean
- Handle: it allows easy tilting of the saw and placing in a comfortable position reducing the strain on the back, neck, and shoulders.
1- PORTER-CABLE PCE700
Costing around $ 100, the PCE 700 is a safe and durable model. This is a powerful tool that can be used for a variety of projects right from basic cabinet making to more complicated roofing projects. It is loaded with all the essential features of a power saw like a quick release clamp, spindle lock, and a fence.
A 14-inch blade, 15 amp motor and 3,800 rotations per minute make the Porter metal saw a tool of great power and strength. The security clamp ensures that the material stays in place securely and you are able to cut cleanly and precisely.
Having a clear view is crucial for safety and for neat no-burr cuts. The spark deflector ensures that both these conditions are met. The sturdy steel base also guarantees that the saw doesn’t move during usage thus preventing any untoward incident.
Long power cable
An 8-foot long power cable gives you the freedom to take your power tool along with you anywhere in your work area. Of course, care must be taken that you don’t trip over it.
- Replaceable brushes accompany a powerful 15 amp motor
- Presence of quick release clamp for speedy work
- Miter adjustment upto 45 degree
- Spark deflector for safety
- 3-year limited warranty.
The Porter Cable PCE 700 is an impressive metal chop saw at an affordable price. It is a highly versatile product that gives you a variety of angles to experiment and cut. It is so designed that your safety is not compromised at any point in time.
2- DEWALT DW872
When you want smoother and cleaner cuts from a powerful saw, the TPI or teeth per inch comes into play. Saws like the DW 872 which has a 70-tooth blade produce precise cuts that exhibit almost nil burrs. In addition to precision, the Dewalt is a versatile saw that can be used to cut a variety of material.
Precision is the key
The multi-toothed blade is known to produce accurate and smooth finishes without any prior preparation. The cuts are consistent throughout the life of the blade. The finish is smooth and ready to use eliminating the need for sanding and re-cutting.
Convenient to use
There are two handles: the parallel handle as a support for the wrist and the top handle for easy transportation. You can bolt in place as the hardy base comes with pre-drilled holes.
The company provides 3-year limited warranty on faulty workmanship. But it also offers one-year free service and will help you maintain and replace worn out parts for free.
- Best multicutter in the market
- Carbide tipped 70-tooth blade for precise cutting
- 4 times faster than other chop saws
- 14” blade
- 15 amp motor with a greater overload capacity
- Solid steel base with retracting guard.
This is one of the best metal chop saws in the market today. It is powerful, accurate and versatile. It carries the brand name Dewalt and lives up to it. The per cost cutting is lower with this tool than other saws which use abrasive wheels.
3- Evolution Power Tools RAGE2
If you are looking for a versatile saw that can cut not only metal but also wood, aluminum, and PVC, check out the Evolution RAGE2. The 14” 36 toothed blade is the highlight of this product. This is an entry level product well worth every single penny spent on it. You will not encounter incidents of overheating even at high speeds.
Ready to use
When you cut steel it comes out with a clean finish and almost negligible burrs. It is quick and the metal is cool to touch. The end product does not need any finishing touches.
Despite its powerful performance and versatile nature, the RAGE is economical and very affordable at around $ 150. Not only its price even productivity -wise the blade is cheap; one blade lasts longer than 20 abrasive wheel cutters.
This feature helps in the cutting of material at various angles upto 45 degrees just by swiveling the blade. It is quick and efficient.
- Multipurpose cutter that cuts steel, aluminum, and wood
- 36 tooth blade for enhances the cutting
- No sparks, burrs or heat visible
- Lasts long
- Quick swivel action for angled cuts
- 15 amp motor and 1450 rpm.
This Evolution model is certainly not the top chop saw that you can buy; but if you use a metal saw only occasionally then go for it. Its multipurpose features and low-cost work in its favor.
4- DEWALT D28710
When you want a saw that can live up to its name and its promise of performance choose the Dewalt D 28710. It is a complete package – looks, performance, and durability.A tough aluminum oxide grain wheel slices through all high-density pipes and tubing effortlessly. The saw is surprisingly cheap around $200.
Sawing can be laborious back bending job leading to immense fatigue and exhaustion. But when you use the Dewalt which has the most powerful motor in the industry you won’t be complaining. At 4 horsepower, the D28710 is a star performer who also provides extra protection from overload and heat.
The D-shaped handle provides a comfortable grip and more control on the equipment. it also aids in carrying the tool.
Adjustable spark guard
When you use a powerful motor sparks are bound to fly; if you don’t take the necessary precautions you will get injured. The spark guard doesn’t allow the sparks to come in contact with the user.
Quicker and faster
You can work at a better pace and be more productive when you use the Dewalt D28710 because of the two features:
- The Quick-Lock vise which expedites clamping of different materials of varying sizes.
- Spindle locks accelerate wheel change.
- Aluminum oxide grain wheel facilitates smooth and speedy cutting.
- Increased performance with the 15 amp motor
- On-board wheel change wrench
- Ergonomic handle
- Precise and smooth cutting action facilitated by 45 degrees pivoting fence
- Sturdy lock down pin to keep the head in place
- 14” blade.
An affordable price and varied features that are user-friendly make this Dewalt one of the best metal chop saws in the market. The saw is durable, well-constructed and comes with safety features that make it a pleasure to work with it.
5- Steelmax SM-S-14-C
This is probably one of the best metal chop saws that one could hope to have in their garage. It is a beast that runs at 1450 rpm thanks to the very powerful 1750-watt motor. You can experience clean and precise cuts at a rapid rate with minimal to no burring.This solid tool can outlast many according to several online reviews. It can be used to saw steel, aluminum, and wood.
Cast iron base
A solid non-slipcast iron base not only provides greater stability to the saw, a must when you are handling something as powerful as the S 14 but also reduces vibration during usage. This, therefore, leads to a longer life of the tool.
Innovate Flip plate
Cutting round and tubular structures are never easy unless you have the Steelmax SM-S which comes with a flip plate which secures these objects and prevents them from slipping away thus protecting the saw and the object from damage.
- A powerful 1750 watt motor
- High speed 1450 rotations per minute
- Solid cast iron base for stability
- Unique flip case
- The blade is 14 inches in diameter.
The S 14 is a very strong and powerful metal chop saw that has been designed mainly for mild steel.It is well constructed and produces clean accurate burr free cuts. It is not cheap but then if you want quality then you need to spend.
Each product has its own benefits and drawbacks; identify your needs before making a purchase. The brand, the fabrication, and the maintenance will determine which is the best metal chop saw for you from the above list. Do not forget the safety precautions when using these heavy metal tools.